Thursday, November 29, 2007
Washington Middle School Laptop Program
I read an exciting article within the Teaching Today newspaper. Kenosha Unified crafted the laptop project to attract new families to an urban middle school. Enrollment happened to be low at this particular school so they offered all student a laptop with enrollment. The year before all the teachers received laptops now it was the students turn. Using state and federal grant monies with a partnership with Apple this school was able to make this exciting but understood move. The parent and teachers need to go through a training and sign a contract saying they will be able to take care of any repairs or maintenance the laptop may need. The laptops go everywhere with these students. Personally i think it is a little much but I think in ten years this will be more heard of and accepting. The classrooms use the laptops for assignments and there are links the student go to for homework help. Also a eboard is used for communication purposes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Loree, What a great motivator for parents and students. I guess I would also be concerned with the students hauling it back and forth to school. My other concern would be how they were going to monitor the students on other sites.
Kim :)
Post a Comment